Our last week of freedom
August 31, 2012 § 7 Comments
I can feel the nerves beginning to build up inside me; my mind is like a minefield, full of excitement and panicky thoughts. If I allow myself to stay on one of the panic mines for too long, I find myself whisked away into the stresses of the future. Luckily, I have refrained from visiting this state of mind for too long. Instead, I remind myself that today is today and the challenges that are to come are not yet present. There is no use in concerning oneself with future worries – especially when one has yet to experience the context of these worries.
Skjalg and I have been thinking about how we would like to spend our weekends once school starts. We have no idea what to expect – other than that we are in for one REALLY stressful chapter in our lives. One thing we’ve been told time and time again is that success depends on balance. Too many students entertain the extremes: either studying day and night and never taking a break or taking the semester lightly and pushing things off until the end. We brainstormed what our ideal “productive yet balanced” weekend would be:
- Light brunch at the Fit Cafe at our gym
- Study for a few hours at a café, library or at home
- Date night: whatever we want to do as long as it includes spending quality time with each other
- Slow, easy morning with time to blog, send emails, etc.
- Fresh food market for fresh veggies and meats
- Prep “easy access” food for the week
- Light cleaning of the apartment
- Study for a couple of hours at a café, library or at home
We are not expecting that every weekend will be exactly like this, but it helps to have an idea of what to strive for. Plus, if we are as tired as I expect we are going to be after 5 days of lectures and studying, we could use a “plan” to guide us through the weekend.
This weekend we have the Opening Ceremony, where we will be introduced to the faculty, listen to speeches and take our Freshman Oath. Next week includes registration and familiarizing ourselves with the campus. And finally, on Monday the 10th of September – we start medical school.