A bittersweet end

May 17, 2013 § 6 Comments

The last sessions of our classes have come and gone and I find myself in a mixed state of relief and stress. The skies of Budapest have graced us with yet another raging storm and I’m cuddled up in the office so that I can listen to the rolling thunder and rain trickling against the window. It’s the 17th of May, Norway’s Independence day (gratulerer med dagen!) and Skjalg is out celebrating with other Norwegian students at ANSA’s 17th of May celebration on Margit Island (though I don’t know how nice that is now that it’s pouring outside). Me and my boringness stayed home to study some anatomy.

Stian, my good friend from Norway, sent me an email and some pictures, asking how I would be celebrating the day. It got me thinking about where we were last year and what today would be like in a parallel universe. Then I realized, I have a blog post from this day last year! Praise the blogosphere for tangible memories πŸ™‚ Here are some more pictures from that day:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Now Stian’s pictures from today:

majorstuenOur old street in Majorstuen, right off of Bogstadveien.

DanielAnetteDarling Daniel and Anette!

I wrote him back saying that I had “big plans” and sent him this picture:

IMAG0899

So boring, I know! But there is no time to rest just yet. Classes are over, but now it’s the tough part – exam period. For the next 4-6 weeks, we are going to be huddled in our apartments, if not at libraries or cafes, trying to cram in as much material as possible into our heads. My exams are as follows: Anatomy semi-final, Medical Biophysics final, Medical Biochemistry semi-final, Medical Communication final, and Chemotaxis (my elective course) final. We have 3 shots at each exam and if we still don’t make it after that, then we need to repeat the semester, which means falling behind a year. Hopefully I won’t need more than one pass at each exam…

To close out anatomy today, we had our midterm on the urogenital system. I was 100% sure it wasn’t going to go well for me, but I emerged with a 3 (somehow..). The exams varied greatly between classes: Skjalg had 10 multiple choice questions, another group had images they had to label, and for ours, we had 10 theoretical questions and a pin-test. I only managed half of the theoretical questions, but got 9 out of 10 on the pin-test (stupid round ligament). I hadn’t expected that there would be such a big theoretical part, so I had spent most of my time studying images in my anatomy atlas.

Now I get to spend time making up for my falling behind in anatomy! I want to finish with the urogenital by at least midday tomorrow so that I can begin reviewing for my exam. It’s on the 28th, so I have a little over a week, but I know that time is going to fly by before I know it. Ok, I’m off to bed with my embryology book!

Check out Charlotte’s newest post: Today, I recap the last week of school

Tagged: , , , ,

§ 6 Responses to A bittersweet end

• Charkie says:

Ah-ha! That explains why I saw so many Norwegian flags waving today. Now I can put faces to some of your friends in Norway! What a spread that was last year! … What a contrast to the current spread of Anatomy books. Happy studying!

• Buda B says:

Yes! And why you might have heard a lot of “gratulerer med dagen” being said around school. Haha, brunch spread to anatomy spread…my how things can change in a year… πŸ˜‰

• toeggi says:

We had such a fun day last year! πŸ™‚ Wasn’t the same without you guys here today!

Aha! That explains.. I didn’t see the pictures when I read your email. Thought it was a weird way to finish it without telling me your big plans πŸ˜› That second picture (the one you didn’t post here)… That… That just hurts..!

• Buda B says:

I did too! I got pretty nostalgic looking through the photos. I even remembered us closing the night with drinks and singstar at our place…even though there aren’t any photos of that πŸ˜‰

Oh no! The pictures were part of the joke. Glad you saw them now. Thanks for letting me steal your photos without permission πŸ˜› Haha, I picked that second one out just for you. Would you believe me if I said it wasn’t even the worst one?

• Aida Makonnen Lopez says:

What an amazing spread you had last year for 17 av Mai! I recognize your old apartment in Oslo. Loved that place. Sent you e-mail last week asking for your schedule. I would love to be able to visit you either in Budapest or Norway when you have a break from school – sometime over the next 6 months. May have to move back to States by end of year and want the kids to have opportunity to experience. Best of luck with exams over the next 4-6 weeks. You will do great! Love, Aida

• Buda B says:

It was a really great apartment! We got lucky with that one πŸ™‚ Glad you got to see it. I got your email! Wrote you back a draft but then forgot to send it. Will send it today!