That summer feeling

July 10, 2013 § 11 Comments

It’s a beautiful day in Oslo and I am nestled in a little corner window table in the café in Stian’s building. It’s my last day here, the end of a very brief trip to visit my doctor and see some friends. Tomorrow morning I will be flying up to Bodø in northern Norway – the land of the midnight sun – where I will be spending the majority of the summer.  I’d forgotten just how beautiful Oslo is in the summer. The trees and parks are vibrant green, flowers litter the streets and colorful buildings gleam in the sunlight.

My last days in Budapest were spent moving to our new apartment in Deák and hanging out with my brother. Skjalg left for Bodø last Sunday so that he could be there to start work Monday morning. He will be doing his nursing practice this summer. I wasn’t able to get a spot, unfortunately, but we have until 3rd year to fulfill that requirement. So my summer will be spent relaxing, reading and centering myself.

The move went smoothly and everything was settled within a matter of hours. A huge benefit of living in Budapest is that labor is very cheap. Because of this, we were able to do something that we never would have been able to do in Norway: hire movers AND cleaners. It worked perfectly, especially since we don’t have a car to move and there was no way I had the energy to do everything myself after this last exam period.

I snapped some shots of our old place, for those interested in what a student apartment in Budapest can look like. We paid 500 euro for rent plus 200 euro common cost each month. We lived about a 5 min walk from Blaha Lujza tér. The place fit us really well but after a while, we realized that we weren’t as happy with the location. To get to school we had to take the tram and then switch over to the metro, whereas now we can take the metro the whole way. In addition, Blaha is quite the hangout for junkies and drunks. It was never dangerous living there, but it wasn’t the nicest experience walking through there everyday to get to school.

Once we’d moved in and I’d turned in the old apartment, it was time to crash. The four days that followed were full of doing nothing of importance. Christian and I spent a couple mornings eating breakfast at Starbucks while looking out over the Basilica, but other than that, we slept and chatted about life, parallel universes and the future. A lot of time was spent standing on the balcony and observing the city.

Christian

Luckily escaped a serious overcharge when booking Christian's ticket back to Oslo. Exact same flight came up as 41,000 (140 euro) on my computer and 111,000 (380 euro) on Christian's.

Luckily escaped a serious overcharge when booking Christian’s ticket back to Oslo. Exact same flight came up as 41,000 (140 euro) on my computer and 111,000 (380 euro) on Christian’s.

By the time Saturday night had hit, I still hadn’t started packing or preparing the apartment for a summer without tenants. This resulted in my sleeping only from 2:30-3:00 am before getting up to head to the airport for my 6 o’clock flight. I arrived at Stian’s at around 2:00 in the afternoon. We spent an hour or so catching up and then headed out in search of sushi. Then it was back to his place, to enjoy our meal whilst looking out over Oslo from his rooftop terrace. There was a huge music festival going on (our poor ears) but it made for an enjoyable view.

View from Stian'sFestival viewFestival view 2

Monday was spent catching up on sleep, a sushi date with Stian and Marie while looking out over the water down by Aker Brygge, and then coffee with a group of Stian’s friends in Bislett.

Marie viewSlottsparkenSlottsparken 2

Yesterday I spent the day with Karolina, a fellow expat from New York. She is an amazing cook and spoiled me with homemade italian comfort food, champagne and conversation. After that, it was home to catch up on the latest True Blood episode with Stian.

Karolina lunch 2

It’s been a short, yet amazing little trip to Oslo. We’ll close out this last evening with a homemade dinner, which we’ll hopefully enjoy on the roof terrace. Then it’s early to bed and early to rise for my 8:00 am flight. I can’t wait to see my man! It’s been too long 🙂

Tagged: , , , , ,

§ 11 Responses to That summer feeling

• Lee says:

Hi Bianca. I’m starting the Med School in September and I’d really appreciate any advice you can give me on finding accommodation.

Lee

• Lee says:

Such as sites/companies

And this is a fantastic blog you have going

• Buda B says:

Hi Lee! Thank you 🙂 We rent from a company called VIP Properties and we are really happy with them. We’ve rented from them for both of our apartments. I’ve heard from other people that Home Management and Tower Rentals should be avoided. Websites you can check out are: alberlet.hu, homesweethome.hu and vip-properties.hu. I recommend getting a place as soon as possible, since the nicer ones are taken up first. Also, try to get one off the blue metro line – quicker to school that way. Oktogon, Deak and Kiraly Utca are great areas for students. Hope that helps and let me know if you have any more questions. Best of luck!

• Lee says:

Thanks for your prompt reply Bianca!! How do you find the time to keep such a detailed blog? These sites do have some really nice places to live. With the lectures are they always in the same place or spread over the district 8ish area?

Lee

• Buda B says:

No problem 🙂 I try to fit in a blog whenever I find that I have a free moment, which is usually before bed when I’m too tired to keep studying. It’s nice to be able to look back at our experiences.

For the first two years, almost all the lectures will be at or near the Basic Medical Sciences building (near stop klinikak off the blue metro). I don’t know of any students that live right around there, as it is not the nicest area. If you want something close, Corvin is a good area to check out (5-10 min walk). They’ve recently built new apartments there and there is a mall and nice outdoor area.

• Oh! To be in Norway now that summer is there! I love the place and its people. But the memories are slipping. It has been too long. Must put it up there in my “to see again” places.

Your old place looks just marvellous! I can understand your concerns with the ‘hood though. Wish I had spent those last days with you. I would have loved to join in the conversation about parallel universes and such exciting topics that only my grandson Christian can get into.
    Enojy your break – you deserve it.

My best to our family in Norway.

• Buda B says:

Oslo was amazing! Bodø greeted me with a double layer of clouds and a rainy mist. I’m hoping we get some clear skies soon. Glad to
      hear you recall Norway fondly, you’re always welcome to visit us, wherever we are living.

It was an amazing apartment. I’ll put up photos of the new one when we get settled there. Would’ve been nice to have you here 🙂

• Deniz says:

Hi Bianca! I’m a 18 year old girl from Norway who is going to start studying medicine at Semmelweis this fall. I find your blog very inspiring, and I think I just read everything in your archives!! You seem like a very sweet girl, and not to mention a great student! Love your blog !!

• Buda B says:

Thank you so much, Deniz! And congratulations on your acceptance to Semmelweis 😀 Hope the archives helped you a little bit in your mental preparation for the year ahead. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

• Charkie says:

hi bianca! i’m glad you got to catch up with Christian, old friends, and Oslo. how are things in Bodø?
    i can’t believe the price difference for those tickets! – thanks for the heads up about that. hope you are well xx

• Buda B says:

Charlotte!! Bodø is great 🙂 Slow and rainy = perfect break away. How is work?? Been thinking about you and can’t wait to hear how things are going.